stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexander Lohse
Subject stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I am very new to PgSQL and I am just trying to figure out what for to
use stored procedures.
What I read/tested up to now is that pl/pgsql seems to be a bit
clumsy to write. Possibly needing a lot of
trial & error.

So, I am not really sure what is the benefit of writing logic inside the DB.
Is there a performance benefit compared to processing via PHP?

I do not really see the use for me to separate logic from the other logic,
'cause then you'll have to worry about 2 sources!
(I usually have a DB only used by that specific application, and if
not it is at least the same language, so global function are stored
in shared code libraries.)

I see this is a powerful feature and it seems to make sense, but when
I scan across my apps, currently using MySQL, I am having a hard time
to imagine where I could use it.
As far as I figured now, the only thing I would put into DB-Logic
would be stuff like "deleting or updating related tables". But this
is what REFERENCES .... CASCADING does as well!

It would help me lot, if anyone could help me here to jump on that train.
Maybe one can tell me what he does with this opporunity.

Thank you very much in advance,

Alex
--
Human Touch Medienproduktion GmbH